Monday, August 4, 2008

Day 10

Well it is Day 10 and now probably past the point of any IVIG treatment being effective. It has been an agonizing past 36 hours as we have assessed and re-assessed how we think Ava is doing, if she has a fever (she has not had ANY fever since Friday night), etc. She is fairly run down and is often taking 2 naps a day (very unusual for her 2 year old self). She is super thirsty even though she hasn't had a fever and wakes up 5-7 times per night (almost always returning back to sleep quickly), but Carl and I have been reminded what sleep deprivation is like...

She continues to improve, though now more slowly. I am hoping that she'll be close to her normal energy this weekend. This morning I scheduled her echocardiogram (essentially an ultrasound of her heart) for Tuesday, August 12th at the Children's Hospital in Portland. In the mean time I am trying to regain some sense of normalcy today. I am really cautious about exposing Ava to the public--not because there is any possibility she is contagious--but because her immune system has taken such a beating the past 10 days.

Henry has been a trooper (not without some meltdowns) but truly concerned about his sister and generally a very good boy for me. We have received an enormous amount of help from our moms this past week which has been a lifesaver. Carl, his usual helpful self, has been enormously supportive and extra helpful around the house. I could not ask for a better man to share my life with.

Thanks to all of you for your prayers and concern. We will not have too much to report (I hope) until her echocardiogram--though hopefully there will be some more normal day-to-day posts! Much love from us all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love you guys and want you to know that you are doing an amazing job of hanging in there in such a difficult and scary time. your incredible family of 4 (5? 4.5? :) will tackle each challenge with grace and faith. you have made wise decisions and continue to take each day at a time. i will keep you in my prayers - know that i wish i could be there right now to cook meals or do dishes or something. big air hugs!!!
xoxoxo
katy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us all posted. You've got our love and prayers!
Tom & Andrea