Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A better morning

I love coffee. I haven't had too much because I am careful to avoid it during the early weeks of pregnancy, but on days like today it is a lifesaver. I was super tired as Henry got up 4 times last night and once threw a big fit (which made me extra mad because I was afraid he was going to wake Ava). It took me a good hour plus to fall back asleep and so this morning I needed coffee.

I had a good visit with a nurse practitioner from the Kawasaki Disease Program at Children's Hospital Boston. She reassured me that having an echocardiogram soon is important but that Tuesday is fine. If there is inflammation in her arteries it will show and will not peak until about 4 weeks after her symptoms started. She also said that there was probably less of a chance that her heart was affected (though there is no way of knowing for sure until we have the echo) because her fever was so short (five continuous days plus another day and a half of on and off fever). I also checked with the pediatric cardiologists we will see and they agreed as well. The nurse practitioner reminded me again that 75% of kids with Kawasaki's recover with no complications. I am praying she is in that group. The fact that she is peeling around her fingernails is fair confirmation that she did, in fact, probably have it. The nurse practitioner agreed though that treatment would probably not have helped her on Saturday so we will see what Tuesday brings...

Ava slept well again last night and is continuing to eat a bit more each day. It is wonderful to hear her chatter about in the morning as she hardly spoke (maybe 1 word at a time) while she was seriously ill. My perspective is better today too as I'm sure the pregnancy hormones surging through my body are not helpful in retaining a calm, hopeful perspective. We are endlessly grateful for the prayers and support.

2 comments:

Rachel H said...

So sorry about the sleep deprivation! Wish I were there to enjoy a cup of java with you!

PRAYING Ava is in the 75%!!

Anonymous said...

i think a cup of coffee is justified. :) i'm so glad the fevers are over!!! --katy