Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Wise beyond his years?

Well, we got Henry's last Scholastic book order today. One of the books we got was about ladybugs and other insects. We've found several of the little critters in our yard this spring. Henry has built little habitats and even tried to teach one to swim (needless to say it was a short trip--they're not strong swimmers). So as we're reading this book, I realize it is very factual and scientific. Perfect for Henry. He loves learning interesting facts about anything. Then we turn the page and there are two ladybugs mating. Yep. I was a little shocked myself, but read on like nothing out of the ordinary was on the page. I am just not ready to explain the definition of mating in any sort of detail. So Henry asked, "What are they doing?" to which I responded, "They are mating". As basic and to the point as I could get. Then he pointed to the female (the one on the bottom) and asked, "Is that one dead?" I burst into laughter. "No, honey, she's not dead". (And to which Carl later added "She's just not enjoying it.") We are not short on smiles around here.

No comments: