Sunday, September 21, 2008

It takes a village...

Well, we've done it. We've moved (photos to come another day--I honestly have not taken any photos all week). I say 'we' in the most plural of senses. In 48 hours we got completely moved out of our house and completely moved into our new house (except for about 10 boxes--mostly for our master closet--that have yet to be fully unpacked). So who is we? We is Grandpa B and Lulu who helped me with some ironing, brought beautiful flowers and snacks by. We is my sister Holly who drove down from Portland at 7 am on Friday to watch the kids. We is my mom who picked Henry up from school and took him on a field trip (and a Lotus ride--that's a car for those of you who don't know). We is Papa who hand delivered cut to size plywood to our house for our garage shelves. We is Leah who spent 12 hours with us on Friday doing everything from helping me pack the old house, to playing with Henry, making me lunch and helping me unpack at the new house. We is Larry Tokarski who helped by renting our moving truck and paying to have professionals clean our old house. We is the countless meals that Bev and Laurence prepared the last 5 days to keep us fed and full of energy and in their spare time they helped us unpack and get organized or watched one or both of the kids (which included nature hikes and insect catching!). We is Bruce and Doug and Carl who worked tirelessly to move every last box and appliance out of the old house and into the new including trips to the dump, the U-haul store, etc. and then were generous enough to spend time building shelves in our garage. Truly, I have never witnessed such industriousness! I really have no words to express my gratitude for all the hard work (and hours of 'vacation' for Doug and Laurence--who came all the way from Puerto Rico) that has gone into the past week or so. Never in a million years would I have imagined all that has been accomplished, but as I am going to board a plane in about 36 hours with my 2 children (and Carl not joining us until Friday) to fly to Boston--I feel remarkably at ease. For all the time I spent being frustrated about our house not selling the past six months and the weariness of getting the house 'show ready' while pregnant with two young children, it is clear to me that God's plan is perfect--the timing, the new house (which feels like home already), and all the help which made it possible. I am humbled and enormously grateful.

3 comments:

Rachel H said...

Oh, hooray! So glad you are in and feeling settled. What an amazing support system you have!

Are you going to Boston to snuggle with new baby Gabriel?! Have a wonderful time!!

Anonymous said...

wow! you really have a wonderful family and amazing friends. I am so happy for you to be in your new home - what happy times to come! - schwartz

Annie Bizzi said...

Congrats! Sal wants to come to Henry's house really bad! We miss you guys and are so glad everything has worked out so perfectly.
Bizzi's