Sunday, September 28, 2008

Boston--Part 3--Going Home

Well we had a 4:30 pm flight which got us into Portland at 7:30 pm (10:30 our body time). You might think that our kids would get tired enough to sleep, but alas, they did not. You might think they could just veg out and watch some DVD's in their overtired state but we realized about an hour into the flight that we had neglected to put our DVD player back into our bag when we went through security. So, alas, there were no videos to watch. Now, my dear husband sat with our kids for most of the six hour flight and honestly they were GREAT. I almost couldn't believe it myself--great on both flights? What are the chances. So truly the most entertaining part of our trip home was our experience at the food court in Boston before we boarded the plane.

Margaret Alexander
While I was in Boston I was enlightened to the existence of the Margaret Alexander Wizard of Oz dolls collection at McDonalds. They are the current girls Happy Meal toy and the quest to collect had been in the forefront of my sister-in-laws McDonalds endeavors. We got 3 of the dolls (in one stop) while there and Cabrini, in St. Louis, got the last 3 for us while we were there. However, I thought we would just be out the first six (there are 12 total)--especially the oh, so important Dorothy and Glinda, the good witch. UNTIL....we stopped at the airport McDonalds and they had ALL of them and would just let us buy the dolls (as opposed to having to purchase a Happy Meal with each one). So, unbelievably, we have a complete set in all of 3 days.

Chicken Coffee
You have to know Carl to know that he is a recent convert to coffee. As the kids were munching on their McNuggets and fries, he slid over to Starbucks for some caffeine--knowing it would be a late night. He ordered a tall Vanilla Latte with Soy, and extra shot and protein. Seriously, it was the smallest $5 coffee I've ever seen. He got it, sat it down on the table and helped me get all our gear organized for the trek back to our gate. His coffee was on the table for maybe 2 minutes--max. We headed out of the food court and he took his first sip (I am honestly about to cry just typing this) and he instantly put his hand up to his mouth and held out this chunk of who-knows-what and gagged. In and effort to try and figure it out (I think he maybe just thought it was some protein powder) he took another sip. Again, a chunk of the mystery substance. Then he said out loud, "WHAT ISSS THAT????" to which Henry enthusiastically responded, 'It's chicken!'. At first I just thought he was being silly, but we quickly realized that somehow in that short window of time, Henry had opened Carl's coffee and spit his chewed up chicken nugget into it and promptly and perfectly sealed the lid back on. In an effort to resurrect his $5 coffee, Carl scalded his fingers trying to fish all the nugget out until he realized it was a lost cause. He had to just throw it away. Honestly, I was laughing so hard (at this point we were both laughing) that it was all I could do not to wet my pants. We couldn't even be mad at him we were laughing so hard. Chicken coffee will live in infamy in our family forever.

2 comments:

Rachel H said...

Chicken coffee?! Hilarious! As a coffee lover, I know the bliss of that first swig, all caffinated and yummy. But to discover a mystery chunk. EEEWWW!! Coffee might be ruined forever.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the laugh - I really needed that this morning. sounds like you had a great trip - thanks for sharing! - schwartz