Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A sick girl and on raising a boy...

Ava (who has really not been 100% since her horrible virus this summer) was beginning to deteriorate again today. I took her to the doctor this afternoon. They were quite concerned. She had a double ear infection (again--she also had one in early September) so they put her on an antibiotic (Omnicef). They also took photos of her diaper rash and rash on her face (both of which she has had for 6 plus weeks despite treatment) and sent them up to Emannuel Children's Hospital in Portland for a pediatric dermatologist and a pediatric rheumatologist to review and consult on. They have given us a course of treatment. Hopefully it will work or we will have to take Ava up there for a myriad of tests the beginning of November. Please keep her in your prayers.

On a lighter note, we were at the doctor's clinic for about an hour and a half at the end of the day while we waited for the lab, saw the doctor, etc.--just me, Henry and Ava. Truly there were very few patients (if any) toward the end of our visit. Henry struck up a conversation with one of the other pediatricians (a woman) by the fish tank. She was obviously done seeing patients as she conversed with him for 10 minutes or so. I sauntered over nearby and heard him ask, "How do the fish move their fins?" Her reply was, "Well they use their energy and muscles to move their fins. A lot like the way you use your muscles to move your body." Henry replied, "Yes I have lots of muscles (and pointed to his arm, his leg, his neck (which he thought was funny)....and then as I was distracted by Ava I heard Henry say, "This is a muscle too!". And the doctor replied, "Oh. That is a private part. That's just for you (thank goodness she was a pediatrician!)". I swung around to see Henry showing her his 'unit' (for lack of another blog appropriate term). I gasped (as he has NEVER done anything even close to that before) and quickly reiterated that in fact that was a private part as I made sure he tucked it back in! I hope you're laughing. I was quite mortified...though I am sure it is fairly normal. On the way home I nonchalantly brought it up to make sure he understood that it was not to be whipped out in public. His reply? "Oh mom, it's ok. I didn't let her touch it!" What???? Well I guess I am glad I have driven that point home but Lord please let this be a one time occurrence!

No comments: